SAAPA Hangar Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I must admit

3 posters

Go down

I must admit Empty I must admit

Post by Radar Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:47 am

Yes, I must admit that I have never had an awkward experience with the SGJ tower that wasn't brought on by my own ineptness. Sometimes we get wrapped up in a checklist, in making a frequency change, or in communicating with a passenger, and miss a call from the controller. It happens.
It is easy to criticize, but the controllers have a huge responsibility to protect lives and property. Sometimes it is necessary for them to be brusque. Like the time the pilot flying north to south down the coast asked for a transition. When it was granted, he decided it would be alright to circle Vilano Beach. Or the time the student from downstate was cleared to land on Three One and lined up with One Three-and insisted that he was correct! Yes, I heard that one too. Face it. Sometimes it is necessary for the controller to take on the role of your grouchiest instructor.
Walk a mile in the other person's moccasins.
Happy Christmas Eve.
Radar
Radar
Radar

Back to top Go down

I must admit Empty Tower

Post by Chuck W Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:28 pm

In a manner of speaking the call of "St. Augustine Tower, this is Bugsmasher 231..." is akin to ringing the doorbell to the community. It is important for the airport to make the arrival as welcome and pleasant as possible. I too, as the majority of the pilots using KSGJ have a great relationship with the Tower personnel. I could not imagine having a bad relationship or even worse telling them how to do their job. It can get a bit crazy and I have been told "No" on a request more than once, but not often (pout included). On the times of a FUBAR, the response is predictable and professional. The reason for the Chat-site is as a vehicle to convey any issues and more importantly answer the question of "Why do or why can't we..." SAAPA has a small group of users/members, that meet quarterly with the Tower Manager to bring up questions to see if there is anything we can do better, as well as updates on their procedures and status of the Field. In addition, on very rare occasions there may be a complaint or misunderstanding that may warrant further review in the name of safety or clarification. The institutional knowledge of the personnel up there is wonderful and we are lucky to have them. We have all heard and seen situations that would have tried the patience of Job. I agree with Ken as to who has the Field and the professionalism displayed. The site is to maintain the great relationship and exchange of information and like most good tools, needs to be handled with respect to the job they have...

Chuck W

Back to top Go down

I must admit Empty Re: I must admit

Post by mdeck Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:13 pm

We are fortunate to have some good folk in our tower. A lot of towered airports would love the people we have. They are professional and personable at the same time. I have heard them get on to people, but after all it is their job to keep the airspace around SGJ safe and follow the FAA guidelines.

mdeck

Back to top Go down

Post by jrtchiro Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:12 pm

I agree 100%! I think our tower staff is amazing! They do a super job. They have a tremendous responsibility and our safety is their number one priority. I did most of my early flying at a non-towered airport and I was intimidated when I moved on to the field. Now, I love it! I have utmost respect for the ATC folks. They do a great job!

jrtchiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum